I'm making the most definitive list of favorite movies ever.

For every year, I'm listing every movie I've seen and compare them all to each other asking one question; Which movie do I like more. Movies that score in the 80th percentile or higher, advance to the next round: Favorite of the Decade. After each Decade is done, an All Time list will be formed.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Movie: Lord of War


What Fight Club was to 1999, Lord of War is to 2005. It's a year of Star Wars ruling the box office, Keanu Reeves donning a black trenchcoat as a reality shifting hero, Johnny Depp and Tim Burton are teamed together. We're missing an M. Night Shyamalan "shocker", but I'd like to think the world is over him.

Fight Club was a truth we didn't wan to hear, so is Lord of War. The season finale of Galactica showed humans doing what they're always more willing to do than almost anything else, destroy each other. The real world scenarios in LoW are about just that, and how to pick up a supermodel and get her to be your baby maker, how many passports you may need, and how long an airplane can sit in the middle of Africa. There are so many little interesting things, and I loved it.

That said... it was a little long in the pacing, since the end seems so inevitable, the movie is a slim two hours, but you'll become so sure of how it ends, it'll seem like it drags on. Well, it did to me at least.

The big difference between this and Fight Club, Fight Club went straight to the top of my top five list for the year when I saw it. As the year stands;

1) Howl's Moving Castle.
2) Star Wars
3) Batman
4) tie: Sin City and Constantine
Honorable mention: Kingdom of Heaven

Lord of War would place 7th.

Worst: (Honestly) Monster in Law. But my dark heart will go back to saying it's Hitchhikers Guide. I can't touch the DVD, I even hate the case.

No comments: