I'm making the most definitive list of favorite movies ever.

For every year, I'm listing every movie I've seen and compare them all to each other asking one question; Which movie do I like more. Movies that score in the 80th percentile or higher, advance to the next round: Favorite of the Decade. After each Decade is done, an All Time list will be formed.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Favoritest Movies of 1998


My father and I used to go to a movie every weekend.  I remember, having just seen Shakespeare in Love at the AMC in Crestwood Mall (The mall is defunct, but the movie theater is still there, and pretty much unchanged since the year I'm writing about) and we were walking to The Pasta House to have dinner, debating which movie would be more deserving of an Oscar win, Saving Private Ryan or Love. But, I find out, my father really couldn't care all that much about William Shakespeare.  However, on January 17th, 1980, my father gave me...



Now, I only know the date because he wrote it inside the book, with no other words except "For Paul" and "From Dad".  This book comes up in our post movie conversation since, he gave me such a volume when I'm only four yours old.  He replies that it seemed like the type of thing I would like. 
I read every word.
Only in hindsight is it apparent that my father, for all of our problems did occasionally pay attention.  Heck, by the time I was six, I was fairly regularly afforded copies of Starlog magazine.  As I do these lists, I can't hide my affection for genre films, they're to me, the reason for movies.  I'd rather see feats of, and playgrounds for the imagination than an engaging portrayal of typical peoples doing typical things, but I don't think anyone likes boring movies.



  1. TIE: Shakespeare in Love
  2. TIE: Mulan
  3. Armageddon
  4. The Man in the Iron Mask
  5. Meet Joe Black
  6. Saving Private Ryan
  7. The Prince of Egypt
  8. Star Trek: Insurrection
  9. Dark City
  10. Soldier
  11. Lethal Weapon 4
  12. The Big Lebowski
  13. Lost in Space
  14. Rush Hour
  15. The Mask of Zorro
  16. Dangerous Beauty
  17. The Truman Show
  18. Great Expectations
  19. City of Angels
  20. The Avengers
  21. What Dreams May Come
  22. Mighty Joe Young
  23. There's Something About Mary
  24. Godzilla
  25. Wild Things
  26. Deep Impact
  27. Vampires
  28. Sliding Doors
  29. The Big Hit
  30. Blade
  31. The X-Files
  32. Six Days Seven Nights
  33. Elizabeth
  34. Bulworth
  35. Small Soldiers
  36. Fallen
  37. Everest
  38. The Faculty
  39. The Rugrats Movie
  40. A Bug's Life
  41. Antz
  42. Primary Colors
  43. Les Miserables
  44. Deep Rising
  45. Phantoms
  46. Tarzan and the Lost City
  47. A Civil Action
  48. Pleasantville
  49. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
  50. Ring (Ringu)
  51. The Negotiator
  52. Rounders
  53. A Perfect Murder
  54. Enemy of the State
  55. Can't Hardly Wait
  56. The Newton Boys
  57. Sphere
  58. Out of Sight
  59. You've Got Mail
  60. Species II
  61. Urban Legend
  62. The Wedding Singer
  63. Practical Magic
  64. Dr. Dolittle
  65. Ronin
  66. The Object of My Affection
  67. Psycho
  68. Babe: Pig in the City
  69. Ever After
  70. Krippendorf's Tribe
  71. Hard Rain
  72. The Horse Whisperer
  73. Stepmom
  74. Knock Off
  75. The Waterboy
  76. I Still Know What You Did Last Summer
  77. Blues Brothers 2000
  78. The Siege
  79. The Last Days of Disco
  80. BASEketball
  81. Madeline
  82. Snake Eyes
  83. Major League: Back to the Minors
  84. Mercury Rising
  85. Gods and Monsters
  86. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
  87. A Night at the Roxbury
  88. The Replacement Killers
  89. Bride of Chucky
  90. 54
  91. Jack Frost
  92. Apt Pupil
  93. U.S. Marshals
  94. Rushmore
  95. My Giant
  96. Pi

Looking back, I remember thinking 1999 was such a good year for movies. After doing 1999's list, I was wondering why I felt that way at the time. Looking over 1998, it could have been a lot better of a year. Next back, 1997...

Or
Titanic vs Contact vs Starship Troopers!
and 91 other movies... 

 

Wow, that reads cheesy.

Legend: Onto the next Round! In the middle. I do NOT enjoy.

No comments: