I'm making the most definitive list of favorite movies ever.

For every year, I'm listing every movie I've seen and compare them all to each other asking one question; Which movie do I like more. Movies that score in the 80th percentile or higher, advance to the next round: Favorite of the Decade. After each Decade is done, an All Time list will be formed.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Favoritest Movies of 1979







 The top 4 all share something in common, we owned them on CED videodisc. Our Realistic CED-1 felt like my own personal home entertainment system in our basement.


Rainbows!


My dad dove into this format with all sorts of optimism and excitement, but then stuck it in the basement.  At the time, he was also put drop ceiling in the basement, but I think he lost interest in home theater with getting cable TV not much more than a year after getting this.  I've read that the needle on CED players needed to be changed every 500 hours of use.  Ours beat the snot out of that, heck the Bugs Bunny Road Runner Movie saw at least 200 hours of play.  I'd occasionally watch TV off of the antenna down there, King Kong ('76), The Martian Chronicles, and V, and The Muppet Show just about every weeknight.  I forget if Laverne & Shirley preceded or followed The Muppet Show, but it was something my 7 year old self had no interest in.  I'd like to think my tastes have changed in the last 30 years, but 1979 just hasn't weathered the way most other years have.



  1. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
  2. The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie
  3. The Black Hole
  4. The Muppet Movie
  5. Alien
  6. Moonraker
  7. Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
  8. Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro
  9. Time After Time
  10. The First Great Train Robbery
  11. Mad Max
  12. Apocalypse Now
  13. The China Syndrome
  14. The Lathe of Heaven
  15. Monty Python's Life of Brian
  16. Escape from Alcatraz
  17. The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again
  18. The Concorde ... Airport '79
  19. Dracula
  20. The Shape of Things to Come
  21. Zulu Dawn
  22. Rocky II
  23. Hair
  24. Caligula
  25. The Black Stallion
  26. Love at First Bite
  27. Beyond the Poseidon Adventure
  28. C.H.O.M.P.S.
  29. Meatballs
  30. Butch and Sundance: The Early Days
  31. Kramer vs. Kramer
  32. More American Graffiti
  33. The Jerk



Wait, we had all of the ones she mentioned by name... Maybe they DIDN'T want me watching TV! Thank you Youtube, you've explained my childhood.


No comments: