I'm making the most definitive list of favorite movies ever.

For every year, I'm listing every movie I've seen and compare them all to each other asking one question; Which movie do I like more. Movies that score in the 80th percentile or higher, advance to the next round: Favorite of the Decade. After each Decade is done, an All Time list will be formed.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Favoritest Movies of 2000

While doing the spreadsheet for this year, I was sure Gladiator might win the top slot, I couldn't tell. I like a lot of these movies for very different reasons. Heck, at one point I was wondering just how high Rocky and Bullwinkle were going to be. Wouldn't they look odd at the top spot. But, no this works. I've actually rewatched Thirteen Days more than Gladiator. While I'm not fond of how Kevin Costner's character feels the need to be the chorus of the obvious, a narrator with legs walking through the plot, and you could argue that the movie would be better without his character at all. None of that has anything to do with Costner either, he's just not playing John or Robert. For faults with the movie, it's THE "Major Motion Picture" of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Battlefield Earth isn't red either. I realised while doing the list, I like this movie in a sense. It's not good. It's the ultimate of bad, the textbook case, but, it's fun to make fun of. Battlefield Earth is so bad, it's a shared crappiness, a benchmark, and a collective whipping boy.

The Dune movie here, is the Sci-Fi mini-series. I'm still wrestleing with how TV movies and straight to DVD play out in this. the majority of these movies I see on DVD and not in the theater. While I did see 7 of the top 10 here theatrically, for instance, the Anime titles rarely even come out in a theater in St. Louis. So, later years may be adjusted with the animated Dr. Strange, Iron Man and Superman Doomsday movies. Crap, Stitch the movie might wrangle to vie for the all time list!


  1. Thirteen Days
  2. Gladiator
  3. Ah! My Goddess: The Movie
  4. X-Men
  5. Titan A.E.
  6. The Road to El Dorado
  7. Finding Forrester
  8. Frank Herbert's Dune
  9. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
  10. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  11. The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
  12. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
  13. Pitch Black
  14. What Women Want
  15. Shanghai Noon
  16. Scream 3
  17. Escaflowne: The Movie
  18. Pokemon The Movie 2000
  19. Meet the Parents
  20. Quills
  21. The Perfect Storm
  22. Pollock
  23. Final Destination
  24. Unbreakable
  25. Dungeons & Dragons
  26. U-571
  27. Frequency
  28. Almost Famous
  29. The Whole Nine Yards
  30. The Art of War
  31. Shaft (2000)
  32. Charlie's Angels
  33. High Fidelity
  34. Chicken Run
  35. The Patriot
  36. Gone in 60 Seconds
  37. Coyote Ugly
  38. Dinosaur (Walt Disney)
  39. Bedazzled
  40. The Next Best Thing
  41. Erin Brockovich
  42. Rugrats in Paris: The Movie
  43. How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
  44. Digimon: The Movie
  45. Boiler Room
  46. Mission: Impossible II
  47. Snatch
  48. The Million Dollar Hotel
  49. Traffic
  50. The Family Man
  51. Battlefield Earth
  52. Scary Movie
  53. The Emperor's New Groove
  54. Return to Me
  55. Cast Away
  56. Nurse Betty
  57. Requiem for a Dream
  58. American Psycho
  59. Me, Myself, and Irene
  60. What Lies Beneath
  61. Cruel Intentions 2
One small factor that may have helped Thirteen Days slip by Gladiator. I this poster hanging over my DVD collection.

No comments: