I'm making the most definitive list of favorite movies ever.

For every year, I'm listing every movie I've seen and compare them all to each other asking one question; Which movie do I like more. Movies that score in the 80th percentile or higher, advance to the next round: Favorite of the Decade. After each Decade is done, an All Time list will be formed.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Favoritest Movies of 1986



At the outset of the 1986 pairings, I thought; 'If a good movie gets left behind this is the year they'll get left behind from.'  One of those I know I'll hear arguments about, requires a confession; I just don't like Ferris Bueller's Day Off as much as you.  It's a fun movie, it's good, it's memorable, it's quotable, and it's made for every person who's ever been content with a C+ on a report card, who 'just enough' was acceptable for.  There's nothing wrong with that; it can keep the lights on and beer in the fridge, but I don't drink beer either, or less relevantly eat any ethnic food that I can think of.  But, I analyzed Bueller on his own merits, and ignored that the cast contains Ben Stein, who is human tea tree oil to this lowly ant.   

One of the hardest calls to make in the entire history of making these lists: Star Trek IV vs Project A-Ko.  I couldn't let it go to a tie.  Really the entire lineup of the top 4 were difficult pairings to decide, and I'd looked for poster images for each of them, I almost ruled against Transformers because it was on the blog wallpaper, but because I had no real internal debate that Transformers should top A-Ko, then logically I must like Transformers more than Star Trek IV... but their positions may change in the decade race.  I can see now 1986 will be going with a major contingent into the finals, probably everything from Big Trouble in Little China up.



but not poster composition
Captain EO


For most of the pairings, a movie was on the list and competing that, when near completion, I had to eliminate, Captain EO.  A long time ago, when compiling the titles, Looney Tunes presented a problem of length, and I'd decided not to include them.  I haven't been including Pixar shorts, but EO at 17 minutes is a bit longer than most of these, it's far from long enough to be a "movie".  I've included TV movies, direct to video movies, OVA, I've had the broadest consideration of what is a movie, but I can't go that short.
We can imagine that Captain EO was a glimpse of what we didn't get in 1986; Episode VII or I.  Though a bit of it's look is less sophisticated than even Return of the Jedi, It's kinda doing a Ginger Rogers 'backwards and in heels' trick by looking like a Star Wars movie, in 3D.  On top of that, the sci-fi update on the Thriller zombies were the prototypes of the Borg and their Queen.  If Captain EO had been a feature, it would have been easily top-10 for the year.  Even as it was, a shallow, brief, half music video, it was in the 70th percentile, but EPCOT is still my favorite of the parks.  I wish the crap were taken off spaceship earth, and I wish the... I wish EPCOT would return to its nerdier, closer to original state. 

It's a bit funny the way giving a tie to two movies works out; in last place, The Money Pit had a tie with Armed and DangerousArmed and Dangerous shared a tie vote with Club Paradise, which had a tie with Hoosiers, (Okay, I know what you just thought, but Club Paradise had Peter O'Toole in it!) which had a tie with SpaceCamp, which had a tie with The Great Mouse Detective, which had a tie with The Karate Kid, Part II, which had a tie with Big Trouble in Little China, which had a tie with Labyrinth.


Well here's the list with the most rewatchable top 5 probably of all the lists so far.

  1. The Transformers: The Movie
  2. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
  3. Project A-ko
  4. Highlander
  5. Aliens
  6. Labyrinth
  7. Top Gun
  8. Invaders from Mars
  9. Laputa: Castle in the Sky
  10. Big Trouble in Little China
  11. Flight of the Navigator
  12. The Karate Kid, Part II
  13. Howard the Duck
  14. Short Circuit
  15. King Kong Lives
  16. Crocodile Dundee
  17. The Great Mouse Detective
  18. SpaceCamp
  19. Little Shop of Horrors
  20. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
  21. Heartbreak Ridge
  22. Iron Eagle
  23. The Fly
  24. Black Moon Rising
  25. An American Tail
  26. The Big Easy
  27. Lucas
  28. The Golden Child
  29. Raw Deal
  30. Platoon
  31. Hoosiers
  32. Manhunter
  33. The Delta Force
  34. Ruthless People
  35. Solarbabies
  36. Gung Ho!
  37. GoBots: Battle of the Rock Lords
  38. F/X
  39. Castaway
  40. Critters
  41. Pirates
  42. Peggy Sue Got Married
  43. ¡Three Amigos!
  44. Firewalker
  45. Stand by Me
  46. Club Paradise
  47. The Manhattan Project
  48. The Color of Money
  49. 9½ Weeks
  50. Pretty in Pink
  51. Cobra
  52. The Mosquito Coast
  53. Poltergeist II: The Other Side
  54. Troll 2
  55. The Morning After
  56. Jumpin' Jack Flash
  57. House
  58. Armed and Dangerous
  59. Murphhy's Law
  60. Down and Out in Beverly Hills
  61. No Mercy
  62. Shanghai Surprise
  63. The Money Pit



Legend: Onto the next Round! ( >/= .8) In the middle. I do NOT enjoy. (< / = .2)

No comments: