I'm making the most definitive list of favorite movies ever.

For every year, I'm listing every movie I've seen and compare them all to each other asking one question; Which movie do I like more. Movies that score in the 80th percentile or higher, advance to the next round: Favorite of the Decade. After each Decade is done, an All Time list will be formed.

Friday, August 26, 2005

Movie: Howl's Moving Castle

I should just star using the X-Play scale. If so, this would probably be the 3rd movie of the year to get a 5 out of 5.

It's August, and I just got to see this. I know I slack occasionally but still, This just hit town. I'm going to list a few things; iced tea, waffle cones, toasted ravioli, Budweiser, Energizer batteries, Tums... If any of those ring a bell then St. Louis isn't a total cr@p-berg in the global sense. But when it comes to so many events relating to entertainment, we're just shit on constantly.

In the comic book store the other day, the owner and I were discussing how concerts barely sell through here in many cases and more often than they should, they pass us by completely. The niche movie market thinks suburban St. Louis is a bunch of beer stupored illiterates who, aside from sporting events a few watch as drones, after a trip to church the day before we mow our lawns, we have no interest in anything outside Wonderbread and the three most heavily marketed movies of the week.

This town is just killing me, and anyone I know with even a hint of intellectual curiosity, or verve. This is a town of neatly kept lawns, no bookshelves in homes, and sports on EVERY TV in ANY bar or restaurant. Would having ONE set on cartoon network fucking KILL THEM? I'm hating sports more than ever for what it represents in this town. It's a symbol of antidiversity. It's the symbol of a boring town, where if you are remotely capable of enjoying the beauty in a movie like Howl's Moving Castle, and are above the age of eight, you're a God-Damned freak, a social pariah... You're untouchable, unfuckable and frankly deserve to die, they just don't say that... they smile and ask "How about those Cards?" Then they try to run you over in their SUV, while living in denial that they made such scarlet lettters of RPG's, comics, toys, and animation that their suburban children have nothing left but METH.

By the time the film ended, I was overcome with tears of joy. I was joyous for the rest of the day. Simple things could, would, and should often time bring elation and delectation! Of course if a cartoon can make you weep for joy in this town... I'm fucking surprised I wasn't torn from my home and shot for being an adult male with emotions and whimsy... I can't mention imagination or intellect, they were banned in South County in the mid nineties.

Error correction: Aeghty Aeght pointed out that Red Robin doesn't show nothing but sports on their TV's. That's a good thing. I would point out that they were started in 1969 in Seattle. [Where many good geeks go when they die ;) ] and that one time he and I took the kids there, had some burgers and shakes and dropped 50 BUCKS. In a land of dreams making better money, I'll eat there once a week.

No comments: